Whilst I was tidying and reorganising my craft stash the other day I found this sample I’d made earlier this year and forgotten about.
I’d been playing about with plastic bags (check out my experiments a few posts ago) and I was also looking through the book Raising the Surface by Maggie Grey – which I’ve mentioned in a previous post.
I love the sample in that book made by making a mesh of wrapped grilon thread around a frame and sewing onto it and then melting it in hot water so the thread shrivels up.
I didn’t have any grilon thread (you can get a similar heat reactive thread from Amazon – see below) but I started thinking about plastic bags and how they melt and decided I’d experiment with this much cheaper material.
I made a square frame by bending a metal coat hanger and then I wrapped strips of plastic bag around the frame. Then I wove some bits of raffia, fabric and wool into the plastic. I stuck the whole thing between 2 pieces of baking parchment and ironed it. Then I cut it off the frame.
Whilst it didn’t shrivel up (because of the wire frame) it did make an interesting texture. Not sure what I’m going to use it for yet. I like the idea of stitching into it.