Thursday, November 29, 2012

Working on some Bags again

 My old handbag has broken and I'm currently toting around everything on a boxy old video camera bag - not easy to juggle when you're trying to hold onto a small child as well.

So I started working back onto a couple of textiles pieces I made more than a year ago when I wanted a new bag. You can read about the design process previous to this here.


It all looks like a little bit of a mess at the moment but I'm thinking of calming it all down with very plain fabric for the rest of the bag. I'm also going to take that burnt orange rose off - it's just pinned in place at the moment.


I stumbled on this tutorial for making tea-stained roses and wanted to try them out on this textiles piece. 


I'm thinking I might add some more sheer fabric over the top to calm it all down a bit and stop the roses from getting caught on things.


I also made a couple of new bags - it's not my own pattern - you can find it here.

The 2 main exterior fabrics on the gold bag were from scraps I bought in charity shops. The bright orange-yellow is one that I've had for years and looks like it's from the 70s. The interior was taken from an old pair of trousers. I'm pleased I found something to do with all the corduroy in my fabric collection as I don't normally use it.

My old Husqvarna Viking might not do anything fancy but it is awesome at sewing through layers of thick fabric.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Stencils and watered-down Acrylic experiment


The other night I decided to get out my acrylic paints and a load of old stencils my dad had found when he was clearing the old house out.
I used one of his old shirts and just whacked down some watered-down acrylic paint through a selection of the stencils. I was going for some kind of decaying city wall look.


Think I might try a darker background fabric next time or even do some of the flour paste stuff first (check out this post).


I had a moment where I was thinking should I really be using acrylic paint for this but then I thought about how many of my textiles pieces I've actually washed over the years and figured it didn't matter.

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Plastic Weaving




Whilst I was tidying and reorganising my craft stash the other day I found this sample I’d made earlier this year and forgotten about.

I’d been playing about with plastic bags (check out my experiments a few posts ago) and I was also looking through the book Raising the Surface by Maggie Grey – which I’ve mentioned in a previous post.

I love the sample in that book made by making a mesh of wrapped grilon thread around a frame and sewing onto it and then melting it in hot water so the thread shrivels up.

I didn’t have any grilon thread (you can get a similar heat reactive thread from Amazon – see below) but I started thinking about plastic bags and how they melt and decided I’d experiment with this much cheaper material.

I made a square frame by bending a metal coat hanger and then I wrapped strips of plastic bag around the frame. Then I wove some bits of raffia, fabric and wool into the plastic. I stuck the whole thing between 2 pieces of baking parchment and ironed it. Then I cut it off the frame.

Whilst it didn’t shrivel up (because of the wire frame) it did make an interesting texture. Not sure what I’m going to use it for yet. I like the idea of stitching into it.